7 Important Things to Know About Cervical Cancer
Being diagnosed with cervical cancer can be difficult and understanding all treatment options is overwhelming. Patients recently diagnosed or relapsed with Cervical Cancer may be wondering what the right next step would be.
It doesn’t have to be done alone.
We’ve created an actionable guide that lays out the considerations when dealing with a cervical cancer diagnosis to ensure no step is missed and to help manage the process.
Step 1: Understand Your Diagnosis
Understand Your Diagnosis
- 1. Where is the cancer located?
- Has the cancer spread to surrounding tissues?
- 2. How long does it take for cervical cancer to spread?
- 3. What is the stage of my cancer?
- What does this mean?
4. Should I participate in a clinical trial?
- How do I find out more about clinical trials?
- 5 . Should I get genetic testing?
- How will this affect my prognosis?
- 6. What treatment do you recommend and why?
- What are the side effects of cervical cancer treatment?
Step 2: Build A Cancer Care Team
Nobody should go through his alone. Consider enlisting additional team members in your fight against cancer.
Build A Cancer Care Team
- Primary oncologist and nursing staff: Doctors that specialize in and treat cancer.
- Family and friends: Help with everyday tasks such as cooking, babysitting, or just to talk.
- Genetic Specialists: Help you determine your personal and familial risk of cancer, and the need for additional gene testing.
- Nutritionists: Help maintain your nutrition during your cancer journey.
Step 3: Get the Right Tests
Get the Right Tests
The common tests that you should receive when cervical cancer is suspected is a biopsy of tissue from the cervix. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, imaging tests are performed such as:
- CT scan
These determine the stage and extent of the cancer, which will aid in the decision of treatment options. Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) can help you determine your biomarker status, to assist in the selection of treatment.
Step 4: Know All Your Treatment Options
Standard of Care
The most commonly recommended treatments for cervical cancer are:
- Radiation therapy
- Targeted therapy
Knowing your biomarker status can help determine the effectiveness of different therapies.
Cancer clinical trials are research studies used to improve treatments and quality of life for patients. There are 417 active clinical trials recruiting cervical cancer patients in the United States.
Know All Your Treatment Options
Step 5: Find Available Resources
Find Available Resources
A cervical cancer diagnosis can disrupt your life in many ways. Luckily, resources are available!
- Social workers: Assist you in discharge planning, financial aid applications, advanced directive creation, and more.
- Counselors: Help you come to terms with your diagnosis and create actionable plans to maintain your mental health.
- Support/Advocacy groups: Connect with peers going through similar journeys.
- Patient Advocate: Provide guidance to make informed decisions about your cancer case.
Educating yourself is essential. Here are some resources you can access to learn more about your cancer:
- National Cancer Institute
- American Cancer Society
- Massive Bio Patient Resources
Step 6: Handle the Logistics
Handle the Logistics
You will run into many roadblocks throughout your cancer journey. Patient advocates are available to help you identify and manage these logistics.
It is important to recognize and be prepared for everything required for your cervical cancer treatment, so you know what is expected.
Step 7: Take A Step Forward
Take A Step Forward
Towards a positive outcome.
Decide on a treatment plan and stay positive during your cancer journey. Know that there are resources and people around you who are willing to help.
Roadblocks often occur, and it is important to communicate with your cancer care team and network of resources to help give you the best chance to fight cancer!
Would you like to learn more?
Finding this content to be helpful?
Share your email address with us to receive more information about how to navigate a cancer diagnosis and some bonus info detailing how we can help walk you through it all.
Interested in Cervical Cancer Clinical Trials?
Massive Bio is 4x more successful in finding cancer clinical trial matches for patients than any other service provider. Partner with our patient advocates to learn how you can access cervcical cancer clinical trials matched to your unique cancer.